Collections
Home About the Ridgewood Historical Society About the Schoolhouse Museum Visit the Museum Become a Member Contact Us

 

 

 

Welcome to the Schoolhouse Museum!

 

 

The Ridgewood Historical Society and Schoolhouse Museum are pleased to announce the opening of our new exhibit, Hemlines. The exhibit will be open to the public from March 12 through December 27.

Hemlines is a look at women's fashions from 1900 to 1969 and features:

  • Lingerie
  • Hats
  • Shoes
  • Handbags
  • Jewelry
  • Wedding Attire
  • and, of course, Fabulous Dresses!

Make sure to visit the Schoolhouse Museum to see Hemlines!

See a preview here.

 

Click on any image below to enlarge.

   

 

 

 

PLEASE NOTE:  The following program, previously scheduled for March 14 at 2:00 p.m., has been postponed.  Unfortunately Dr. Woodward had to cancel due to an illness.  The program will be rescheduled and we will post an announcement with the new date and time as soon as we know it. Thank you for understanding and we apologize for the inconvenience.

 

Elizabeth Hawes

A Marriage of Fashion and Feminism, 1903-1971

On October 10th at 2:00PM in the Library Auditorium the Ridgewood Historical Society and the Ridgewood Public Library present a fascinating look at Ridgewood’s Elizabeth Hawes, daughter of Henrietta Hawes and high-end fashion designer in the 1930s.  Dr. Jennie Woodard from the Department of Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies at the University of Maine has done significant research on how feminine standards have played a role in women's participation in traditionally male organizations, like labor unions.  For the past seven years, she has been researching, writing, and speaking about Elizabeth Hawes.  Hawes was a bestselling author, businesswoman with her own fashion design company, and labor organizer.  She thought of herself as a feminist and a Socialist.  She was accused of being a Communist and a rabble-rouser.  Come learn about this interesting and talented woman who grew up in Ridgewood and graduated from Ridgewood High School in 1921.

 

 

From September to July, The Schoolhouse Museum is open on Thursdays and Saturdays from 1:00–3:00 p.m. and Sundays from 2:00–4:00 p.m.   We arrange group tours by appointment.   For more information call the museum at 201-447-3242 or send us an e-mail.

To keep up with the latest news, visit our Facebook page.